Feeling inspired by Cinco de Mayo? Combine your favorite Latin ingredients with everyone’s choice potato- the Sweet Potato, of course.
Makes 6 canoes.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil
- taco seasoning (or cumin, ground pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder)
- 1.5 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place sweet potatoes on baking dish and bake for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in saucepan. Add onions and saute until brown. Add ground beef. When beef has begun to brown, add seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat, let cool and move mixture to bowl.
- Saute corn until it begins to roast, about 5 minutes. Add [drained] black beans and turn off heat.
- Remove potatoes when they are fork tender. Cut in half, lengthwise. Allow the heat to escape for a few minutes, then remove the filling and place into the bowl with beef mixture. Be sure to leave ~ 1/8″ on all sides.
- Mash potato and beef mixture, and then carefully mix in corn and black beans. Scoop the contents of the bowl back into the sweet potato canoes in a mound shape.
- Broil sweet potato canoes for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, top with slices of avocado and enjoy!