Summer is just right around the corner, and grapefruits are in season – yay! This recipe makes for a wonderful gluten-free dessert; the cinnamon and sugar perfectly counter the natural bitter flavor of grapefruit.
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- Mint leaves to garnish
- Pre-heat broiler.
- Meanwhile, cut grapefruit in half, and slice off 1/4 inch from the bottom of each half so it can stand upright in the broiler.
- Use a serrated knife to carefully loosen the grapefruit segments in each half by cutting between the fruit and the peel, and then cutting along either side of the segment. Leave all of the grapefruit in it’s shell.
- Mix melted butter, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl until it forms a paste.
- Spread cinnamon sugar mixture on grapefruit and place onto baking sheet.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until sugar begins to bubble, four inches from the flame.
- Remove from broiler, garnish with mint leaves, and serve immediately.