My second dish from the East Coast Countertop is a fresh take on mac & cheese. By using avocado, spinach, and lime in the sauce, the rich cheesiness is balanced out by fresh greens, and then baked for a crispy crust.
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 lime
- 12 oz. cavatappi noodles
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, make avocado mix using a food processor or blender. Combine garlic, avocados, juice from 1 lime, spinach, salt and pepper and process until creamy and well-blended. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Slowly add flour and whisk, and then add milk and continue to stir until smooth. Add in jack and cheddar until cheese is fully melted and sauce is creamy.
- Place cavatappi in a large baking dish, and mix avocado and cheese sauces in until noodles are evenly covered.
- Cover with parmesan, and bake at 450 F for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, serve and enjoy!