Ever since I took my first bite of the pistachio meatballs at Zaré at Fly Trap, I knew that I had to recreate these amazing flavors . I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, and now from a countertop down in Santa Barbara, I finally did it!
I elected to use lamb as the protein base, and top with a pomegranate reduction. I served the meatballs with a fluffy, light rice pilaf – which didn’t take away from the strong flavors of the pomegranate and pistachio. I can’t say in words how delectable this was – you just have to try it for yourself!
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 2 cups seeded pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Add garlic, onion, pistachios, salt, and pepper to a food processor chop well (or, do this by hand).
- Combine ingredients from food processor, lamb, breadcrumbs, and egg in a large bowl and mix well.
- From here, you’ll create the meatballs. I recommend making them 1″ in diameter or less. You should have ~20 meatballs total.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (up to 4 hours).
- To make the pomegranate reduction, add pomegranate juice to a small saucepan and simmer on low for around 25 minutes. Add sugar a little at a time until the sharp tartness turns sweet. Keep the sauce at a very low temperature until your meatballs are ready.
- To cook the meatballs, heat oil on medium-high heat in a large pan for 3 minutes. Add in your meatballs (as many as you can fit), and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until they begin to brown.
- Remove meatballs from pan and pat dry of oil.
- Top with pomegranate reduction and chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.