Take your grilled cheese to the next level with this sweet, tangy, and savory blend of flavors served in everyone’s favorite culinary vehicle: the grilled cheese sandwich. Recipe makes 3 servings.
- 1 pear sliced thinly
- 1.5 tablespoons pomegranate vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. truffle oil*
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 large loaf bread, cut thick (1″)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2. 5 cups white cheddar or Gruyere, grated*
- 3 strips bacon, fully cooked
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In a small pan, sauté sliced pears on medium-high heat for a few minutes, turning often. After a few minutes have passed, add pomegranate vinaigrette and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Combine melted butter, 1 tbsp. truffle oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Use this mixture to lightly butter both sides of sliced bread.
- In a grill pan on medium heat, grill your sliced bread until grill marks begin to appear. For each sandwich, flip, add grated cheese (1/2 cup per sandwich), top with remaining truffle oil, sautéd pears, and bacon. As soon as the cheese begins to melt, combine top and bottom slices to form full sandwich. At this time, both top and bottom should have grill marks. Remove from heat.
- Once you’ve gone through this process with all three sandwiches, lay flat on a cookie sheet (no need to oil) and bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes, allowing cheese to fully melt.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally and serve with a light tomato soup or arugula salad.
*or subsitute truffle oil and grated cheese with a truffled hard cheese (found in many grocery stores)