This Mexican twist on F&W’s recent Provoleta recipe is sure to please at your next dinner party – just serve with a sliced/toasted baguette or water crackers!
*Note: you’ll need a cast iron skillet or a pan which can be used in the oven (read: no plastic handles!)
Queso Fundido with Basil, Oregano, and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. of mexican cheese (e.g., Oaxaca) or another sharp, aged cheese (e.g., aged white cheddar)
- 3 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 8 grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8-10 basil leaves
- bread or crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F. Meanwhile, slice cheese into half-inch slabs.
- On the stove, heat your cast iron skillet on medium-high until hot, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, sprinkle with half of your oregano and half of your crushed red pepper. Lowering to a medium-low heat, allow the cheese to melt and begin to bubble. You should see a golden crust develop on the bottom.
- With a spatula, carefully flip the cheese. Top with the remaining oregano and red pepper, as well as the halved cherry tomatoes.
- Transfer skillet to heated oven and bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with salt and basil leaves and serve with toasted bread or crackers. Enjoy!